Friday, April 9, 2010

Tom Sumner's lecture/book publishing

I enjoyed listening to Mr. Sumner talk about publishing. He had some interesting views like the inevitability of coming changes. Personally I believe people can have an opinion on a subject even if its inevitable, but I do understand his "why waste time on an opinion" point of view.

I found one of his books that I glanced over quite interesting. It was the one that examines the use of written English. It had examples of Dan Brown's poor phrasing in the Da Vinci Code.

I had posted the question about if it meant the same today as it use to, to say you were published, but I'm not sure I really understood his answer. I believe he said it's easier to get a book out on the market if you're willing to cough up a lot of money?

1 comment:

  1. I think he said if you want your book published you could pay for it. A publisher has a minimum number of copies that need to be printed to cover set up costs. The figure he used was in the $10,000 range. That would be 1000 books at $10 each.

    ReplyDelete