Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Technical Writing

I've learned two key things from this course: rhetoric analysis, and precision.

It's become a game for me to analyze the rhetoric when I read an ad or hear a politician speak. I've always enjoyed breaking down books and movies and discussing them with friends. Now I can do the same with these other mediums. The value of rhetoric analysis goes beyond the social though, it has helped me to understand whats behind the messages.

I've also enjoyed the technical precision of writing memos. I've always hated wasted words and writing for the sake of filler. Being able to write a good memo will be important in any job I hope to have in the future and has already proven itself useful in other classes. Communication skills are key to social and professional relationships.

"Well ordered writing is the sign of a well ordered mind." (Unknown)

1 comment:

  1. Great to read this post. You named two things. Also nice to see you have actually enjoyed some of the technical editing aspects of the memos. Helps make my day.

    ReplyDelete